Monday, 1 June 2015

Storage, and a recycled door for the attic bedroom

This last weekend we worked on the door and the storage.

We found a couple of doors in the attic when we bought the house. We think they used to be another partition in the living room (the frame is still there) although it is difficult to know if they belong together since one of them was chopped short. That's the one we're recycling for the bedroom.

One of the glass panes was missing, and the door is too transparent for a bedroom anyway, so I removed the lower two rows of panes, and I will replace them with something opaque. Thinking about options. It was difficult to get them out without breaking some of the... sticks of wood that attach the glass to the door... :(

Some of them were already split from putting the nails in, so no way they weren't gonna break. Anyway, I glued the damages together. 

The bedroom side of the door will be white. That side is also more damaged (and the side where the stick thingies I removed go). Scrape, sand, fill holes, paint.

Decades of grime

Oops

Already split

OOPS

Glue-up

Glass removed, wood lightly scraped

The lock mechanism was fucked up, so we removed the entire box. We'll not put a key back in so I put some thin wood to cover the hole left:

This ebay find is extremely blunt...
and it is still the best saw I've ever used!
Apart from my jewellery saw.
I have to learn to sharpen it.

Glue and clamps

And a little filler to
hide my shoddy job

First layer. Can't find any primer...

Loki...

Second layer today...
 Pim started building a false roof to make storage space in this weird ceiling bit:



OSB "floor"


Today he put up the rest of the OSB, next, plasterboard on the bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment